Twenty-eight released on bail
[TamilNet, Friday, 27 February 1998, 23:59 GMT]
Twenty eight persons detained at the Kalutara prison were released by the Anuradhapura Magistrate T. Costa, said sources in Anuradhapura. Of these, 16 were released on cash bail and 12 on surety bail. Those who could not raise the money to secure bail, were helped by a charity organisation.
Douglas Devananda MP, leader of the Eelam Peoples' Democratic Party (EPDP) stood surety for those who were released on surety bail.
Many of those released had been arrested mostly in the past three months in various parts of the Jaffna peninsula, said sources.
The released persons are expected to arrive in Jaffna by boat, next week.
Details of those who were detained and released on cash bail are:
1. Maniyam Suresh ,Valappuram, Paashaiyoor.
2. Kumarasamy Vairavanathan, Thanagkillappu.
3. Balasingham Sriskandarajah, Valanthalai, Karainagar.
4. Narasingham Umaapathisivam, Chankanai
5. Gunananthan Gunatheeswaran, Kondavil North
6. Jeyakalai Ganeshananthan, Usan
7. Rasalingam Thavaneethan, Sudumalai South
8. Kanthasamy Amalan, Ramanathapuram, Kilinochchi
9. Balasingham Aanatharasa, Iyanaar Koyiladi, Chunnakam
10. Kumarasamy Chandrakumar, Kokkuvil East
11. Krishnapillai Tharmasuthan, Navali (North)
12. Kandasamy Sivakumar, Sri Nagar, Naavaanthurai
13. Ariyaratnam Pratheepan, Kondavil (North)
14. Patkunam Manoranjan, Manipay (East)
15. Thillainaathan Mahendraraja, Uduvil (East)
16. Samuel Marie Asokananthan, Thunnaalai (East)
Details of those released on surety bail:
1. Kulasegaram Thavamalar, Manthivil, Kodikamam
2. I. Baskaran, Kudathannai
3. V. Sivaloganathan, Jaffna
4. S. Krishnaramasundaram, Pt. Pedro
5. J. Arasakumar, Pt. Pedro
6. U. Mervyn, Gurunagar
7. M. Kulasegaram, Naavaanthurai
8. S. Tennyson Robert, Paashaiyoor
9. P. Aruldas, Alvaai East
10. Anton Raalidas ,Polikandy.
11. Jottajeevarajan, Naavaanthurai.
12. E. Nicholas, Navalar Road, Naavaanthurai.