LTTE denies responsibility for Colombo blast

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 15 October 1997, 23:59 GMT]
The LTTE's London based spokesman, Mr. Anton Raja told TamilNet that the LTTE 'categorically deny any involvement' in today's bomb blast.

A suspected truck bomb was driven into the Colombo's financial district and exploded just after 7am today, causing extensive damage.

An ensuing fire-fight involving an estimated 20 to 30 attackers raged for 3 hours afterwards. Most of the attackers are said to have escaped despite a high profile cordon and search operation by Sri Lankan security forces.

Sri Lanka is desperately trying to mobilise international action against the LTTE, which enjoys widespread support and backing from the Tamil expatriate communities around the world.

Last week, the US put the LTTE on its list of organisations said to be engaged in terrorism, but resident Tamil activists say that no action has been actually taken against their lobbying campaigns.

Most western nations maintain that as long as Tamil activists remain within the laws of their host countries, then no action was warranted.

The bomb blast today occurred close to several major hotels, frequented mostly by foreigners.

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=125