2nd Lead (Adds pictures)
UNP manifesto promises to End Separatism
[TamilNet, Tuesday, 27 September 2005, 10:53 GMT]
Mr.Ranil Wickremasinghe, United National Party (UNP) presidential candidate and the Opposition Leader Tuesday morning officially released his forty-page manifesto for the forthcoming presidential poll at an event held at the UNP headquarters Sri Kotha with the participation of party senior leaders including Mr.Karu Jayasuriya, and Mr.Malik Samarawickrema, sources said.
The manifesto comprises two sections. The first section deals with three themes, end to hunger, employment suited for qualifications, and end to separatism. The second section deals with twenty areas ranging from tsunami reconstruction to women’s rights and foreign affairs.
“Defeat to Separatism“ section of the manifesto contains the following policy statements:
- We will bring about a permanent resolution to the ethnic problem through a political solution based on United Sri Lanka
- A consensus reached between the UNP and the UPFA on the ethnic problem, the agreement arrived at between the government and the LTTE and the Oslo and Tokyo declaration, which guarantees the unity, democratic character and territorial integrity of Sri Lanka, has created the framework of a solution acceptable to all communities of the country.
- Guaranteeing the security and protection of the eastern province,
while guaranteeing Muslim representation in the peace talks, we will also ensure that at all times, the views of the Muslim community are taken into consideration
- I request from the people of Sri Lanka a mandate to reach a
permanent political solution within this framework. I also request from the people a mandate to discuss and reach a consensus with the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) to proceed as above.
- We will create a separate ministry for the war displaced in the
North and the East.
“Law and Order” section of the manifesto states:
- We will create a modern police force that is capable of meeting the
needs of Sri Lanka until 2020
- Under a special ordinance and without creating anomalies in the
current system we will incorporate the reserve police cadres in to the regular police service.
- We will introduce a mechanism to make the employment of “ Grama
Arakshaka” force and Security assistant officers permanent.
Under the section titled “Problems in the east “ the manifesto states:
- We will establish a mechanism that will ensure the peace and
security of all people living in the Eastern Province.
- A Muslim delegation shall be included in the peace talks and views
of the Muslim population will be ascertained at all times.
- We will speed up the post-tsunami reconstruction and rehabilitation
of the East under the to-be appointed competent authority.
- We will improve the standard of the Eastern University.
- A road network linking the proposed Wellawaya airport and the
Batticaloa district shall be built. We will also build a road linking Kandy and Kalmunai.
- We will establish free trade zones in the Eastern Province to
provide employment to the people of the area.
"Uplifting the estate community," section of the manifesto states:
- We will increase the opportunities for the children of estate
workers to enter higher education institutes.
- We will upgrade 07 estate schools into national school status. We
will provide necessary funds and teachers for its maintenance.
- We will increase employment opportunities in government sector for
the estate community.
- A special development plan for the estate community will be
launched. Under this plan we will enhance the infrastructure, housing and other facilities.