Tamils to rally in front of Bern Parliament
[TamilNet, Tuesday, 23 May 2006, 03:14 GMT]
Expatriate Tamils from across countries in Europe are to stage a rally in front of Swiss parliament in Bern on the 29 May Monday at 1:00 p.m., leaflets distributed by the organizing officials said. The rally will urge the European countries to assist Tamils in achieving their self-determination rights or to recognize Tamils' right to secede, organizers said.
Buses and trains are being organized by the rally officials in most of the countries, and those planning to participate are asked to contact local co-ordinating offices, leaflets said.
The rally will place the following demands to key decision makers in the European member countries:
- Recognize Tamil Nation, Tamil Homeland and Tamils right to self-determination,
- Lift ban on Liberation Tigers,
- Remove restrictions on High Security Zones (HSZ) allowing displaced Tamils in NorthEast to resettle in their homes,
- Remove ban on fishing along coasts of NorthEast, and
- Not to repatriate Tamils who seek refugee status in European capitals until a politically negotiated solution is accepted by both warring parties in Sri Lanka.