6 civilians killed in Vadamaradchy bomb blast
[TamilNet, Sunday, 29 October 2006, 12:44 GMT]
Six civilians were killed and one seriously injured when a bomb allegedly carried by a bicyclist exploded in Udupiddy in Vadamaradchy along Udpiddy-Valvettiturai road at 3:30 p.m. Sunday, sources in Point Pedro said. The injured civilians was first admitted to the Valvettiturai hospital and later transferred to Jaffna Teaching Hospital, hospital sources said.
The body of the person who allegedly carried the bomb has not been identified yet. The bicycle has been blown to pieces according to local witnesses.
The five other victims were pedestrians, and identified as:
- Tharmalingam Rasavi, 54, Udupiddy,
- Wijethas Sivendran, 18, Valvettiturai,
- Selvamanickam Gnanendran, 16, Valvetitturai
- Rasathurai Sasikaran, 23, Kerudavil, Thondamanaaru, and
- Tharmalingam Sivanandan, 17, Imayanan, karanavai South
Point Pedro Magistrate, K. Ariyanayagam, visited the scene of the explosion, and ordered the bodies to be given to the relatives after postmortem examinations, legal sources said.