Eastern University staff continues boycott
[TamilNet, Monday, 25 December 2006, 14:43 GMT]
The acadamic and non acadamic staff of the Eastern University of Sri Lanka (EUSL) continued their boycott for the 10th concecutive day demanding the release of abducted Vice Chancellor Prof. S. Ravindranath who is believed to be held by the paramilitary Karuna Group in Colombo from 15 December.
The protesters displayed slogans in the premises of the university. The demonstrators said in their slogans:
- "Release our VC immediately!"
- "Is abduction of persons a part of Mahinda Chinthanaya?"
- "SL Government, where is security in the capital? Why are you playing hide and seek with a Tamil intellectual?"
- "TNA Parliamentarians! Haven't you yet heard about the abduction of our
- "Do not crush the education of the students at gunpoint!"
- "You have already deprived our freedom, land and rights: Are you
going to deprive our education now?"
Unidentified persons abducted Dr. S. Ravindranath along Baudhaloga
Mawatte in Colombo while he was en route to his office. Colombo Police has
not been able to make any breakthrough after ten days of investigations.
Meanwhile, many countries and various human rights organizations have
appealed to the Government of Sri Lanka to secure the release of the VC.