Moothoor aid workers massacre inquiry put off for January 23

[TamilNet, Sunday, 02 December 2007, 18:22 GMT]
The Anuradhapura Magistrate Wasantha Jinadasa Wednesday directed the Criminal Investigation Department of the Sri Lankan Police to send the T-56 assault rifles of five home guards, who were in the Moothoor police station on the day when seventeen aid workers of the French NGO Internationale Contre la Faim (ACF) were shot dead last year, to be sent to the Government Analyst for examination. Earlier, the International Committee of Jurists (ICJ) and the ACF had questioned the credibility of ballistic examinations without an international observer.

The Magistrate said the case was referred to him only for preliminary inquiry and it would be referred to Moothoor court again for full inquiry. The inquiry was put off for January 23.

Mr Wasantha Jinadasa further ordered the CID to record the statements of personnel of the Sri Lanka Army and Sri Lanka Navy who were on duty in Moothoor town on that day.

The court made these instructions on an application by Attorney-at-Law K.S.Ratnavel who appeared on behalf of the aggrieved party.

Meanwhile CID Inspector Sanjaya Perera told court that investigation were underway to ascertain whether the misplaced firearms of the five home guards who were present in the area at that time of the crime and which were subsequently recovered were used in committing the killing of 17 aid workers.

The case came up in the Anuradhapura Magistrate court Wednesday. At the first instance after the crime the Moothoor Magistrate conducted the inquiry. Later the inquiry was transferred to Kantale Magistrate Court. Finally the Judicial Services Commission transferred the case to be heard in the Anuradhapura court.


Related Articles:
15.08.07   Sri Lanka: ‘Holmes is a terrorist’


Chronology:

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=23913