ACF quits, says no confidence in SL's investigations into massacre[TamilNet, Tuesday, 17 June 2008, 12:33 GMT]"It has been almost two years and we have seen nothing...We no longer have any confidence the Sri Lankan investigations will deliver justice." Executive Director, Francois Danel, of Action Contre la Faim (ACF) told Reuters saying that "it [ACF] had no confidence in the government investigation and had quit the island in protest." 17 local tsunami aid workers in a massacre in Sri Lanka two years ago, and Nordic truce monitors blamed security forces for the killings, one of the worst attacks on humanitarian staff since the 2003 bombing of the United Nations compound in Baghdad, the report said. The 17 aid workers -- all but one ethnic minority Tamils -- had been working on rebuilding after the 2004 tsunami in government controlled Muttur when the rebels stormed the town, the report said, adding, their bodies were found in front of their compound by the first aid team to reach it. Most had been shot at close range with automatic weapons. "One thing is certain -- we are not going to give up," Danel said, according to Reuters, "It would have been different if there had been, for example, a French national involved because then we could have used the French justice system," report added, quoting Danel. Chronology: 18.04.08 ACF: Moothoor massacre, a war crime
04.06.07 ICRC pays homage to slain employees
04.06.07 Red Cross condemns murder of staff
19.10.06 Muttur aid workers' bodies exhumed
07.08.06 ICRC condemns killing of aid workers
External Links:
|
Latest 15 Reports
|
||||
|
Reproduction of this news item is allowed when used without
any alterations to the contents and the source, TamilNet, is mentioned |
|||||
|
News | Features | Opinion | Palaka'ni | Photo Features | TN Transcription
Web feeds | Feedback | Home | About us |