Silent prayer, fast for Vanni Tamils in Jaffna University concludes
[TamilNet, Friday, 06 March 2009, 14:54 GMT]
Thousands of persons including students, lecturers, faculty heads, employees and Vice-chancellor of Jaffna University took part Friday between 11:00 a.m and 12:00 a.m in final day of the silent prayer and fast conducted daily since 9 February for the sake of the suffering Tamils in Vanni due to the war waged on them by the Government of Sri Lanka.
The silent prayer and fast was conducted daily with each faculty students taking turns in rotation.
The University society had organized the prayer and fast placing the following demands:
- Stop killing Tamils immediately.
- Bring about a ceasefire immediately.
- Negotiate with Liberation Tigers to bring about peace.
- International Community should intervene immediately to find a permanent solution.
- The displaced civilians from Vanni held in government detention camps should be treated in humanitarian manner.
- Recognize the right of self-determination of the Tamils, their traditional Homeland and Tamil Nationalism as declared in Pongu Thamizh event.
The prayer and fast was followed by a special prayer in Parameasvaran Temple located inside Jaffna University campus in which all participated irrespective of their faiths.
The silent prayer and fast arrangement has been conducted uninterrupted despite searches, checking, intimidation and restrictions by Sri Lanka Army (SLA), Jaffna University Studentsí Union representatives said.