1 dead, 131 admitted to Trincomalee hospital after food poisoning
[TamilNet, Tuesday, 24 March 2009, 13:41 GMT]
One person died and 131, including school children and 65 elderly persons, were admitted to Trincomalee hospital Tuesday morning after having bread for breakfast. All bakeries in the city and its suburbs have been closed down with immediate effect following the suspected poisoning of buns, breads and other items.
District Medical Officer of Health (MOH)
Dr. R. Satheeskumar said a fifty year old man had died due to
suspected food poisoning after taking a bun for breakfast Tuesday
Four students and an elderly person have been admitted to the
Intensive Care Unit of the Trincomalee general hospital with regard to
suspected food poisoning after taking buns for breakfast.
All bakeries in Trincomalee town and its suburbs have been closed down
with immediate effect following the suspected poisoning of buns,
breads and other items. Bakery owners have been directed by the MOH not to open their bakeries and not to produce bread, bun and other items until further notice
The food items produced in the bakeries are being destroyed under the supervision of public health officers.