Nadesan denies reports of human bomb, blames Colombo for deploying banned weapons

[TamilNet, Monday, 20 April 2009, 17:06 GMT]
Political Head of the LTTE, B Nadesan categorically denied reports in Sri Lankan and the Indian media that Tamil Tiger human bombs blew themselves up to prevent civilians fleeing the so-called safe-zone. "The LTTE denies these fabricated stories that seek to discredit us and divert attention away from the suffering of the Tamil people," he said when contacted by TamilNet Monday night. Sri Lankan forces have deployed three types of internationally banned weapons such as cluster shells, napalm bombs and phosphorus bombs against civilians, causing heavy casualties among civilians. He said nearly one thousand civilians were killed and many more wounded in SLA attacks.

So far around 1,200 have been brought to the makeshift hospital in Mu'l'li-vaaykkaal, Mr. Nadesan said.

Several people were killed inside their tarpaulin huts and the rescue workers have not even been able to transport their bodies, he added.

Reports surfaced in Sri Lankan and Indian media Monday that three LTTE human bombs were exploded to prevent civilians who were fleeing the so-called safe zone.

Thousands of civilians, injured in the bombing, are flocking the temporary hospital at Mu'l'li-vaaykkaal.

Independent sources, such as civilians and doctors, talking to media have attested that cluster bombs had caused heavy casualties in Monday's attack.


Chronology:

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=29107