2ND LEAD

Sri Lanka continues air strikes violating own announcement - Puleedevan

[TamilNet, Monday, 27 April 2009, 07:45 GMT]
Two Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF) fighter bombers continued to bomb civilian targets in Mu'l'li-vaaykkaal after the announcement by the Sri Lankan forces that it would not deploy heavy weapons or carry out air attacks as pressure mounted from the International Community. LTTE's Director of Peace Seceratariat, S. Puleedevan, when contacted by TamilNet told that SLAF bombers were attacking civilian targets at Mu'l'li-vaaykkaal at 12:50 p.m. and again at 1:10 p.m. despite the announcement to cease such attacks. He blamed Colombo for "attempting to deceive the International Community, including the people of Tamil Nadu," with the announcement.

S. Puleedevan, Director of LTTE's Peace Secretariat
S. Puleedevan, Director of LTTE's Peace Secretariat
The SLA was also continuing to fire shells into the civilian zone while engaging the troops to continue to mount ground operations at Valaignar-madam, he charged.

The Associated Press reported earlier that the Sri Lankan government had announced that its troops would "no longer use heavy machine guns, air strikes or artillery" in the battle as the government of Sri Lanka concluded that "combat operations had reached their conclusion."

The area has been surrounded by thousands of SLA troops that are prepared to enter the area for an onslaught.

Commenting on the latest developments, an ex-militant based in Colombo said Sri Lankan military no longer needed air attacks, MBRL or artillery fire to carry on the onslaught as the announcement didn't say that it would not be using heavy mortar fire, RPG fire and the deployment of tanks as it would continue to engage its ground forces in the combat, questioning how Mahinda Rajapaksa, the Commander-in-Chief of the Sri Lankan armed forces defines the term 'heavy weapons'.

Sri Lankan forces launched a ground offensive around 3:30 a.m. Monday aiming to enter the remaining area of the so-called safety zone, an area comprising 8 square kilometres, which is under siege by the Sri Lankan military.


Chronology:

 

Latest 15 Reports
20.10.17 07:02  
Jaffna University students boycott classes against manipulative justice of genocidal Sri Lanka
19.10.17 17:11   Photo
Sirisena disappoints student leaders, Cooray humiliates families of hunger-striking prisoners
18.10.17 23:45  
Eastern Provincial Land authority discriminates Tamils
17.10.17 18:46   Photo
Paramilitary operative employed at Cooray's secretariat in Jaffna harasses public servants
16.10.17 07:15   Photo
UN Refugee agency ignorant of stranded Tamil refugees in Indonesia
15.10.17 19:12  
Tamil fisherman rammed by intruding Sinhala fishermens’ boat, fishing disputes escalate in Jaffna
14.10.17 07:34   Photo
Tamil protesters confront Maithiripala Sirisena in Jaffna
13.10.17 17:40   Photo
North at standstill, Sampanthan not to accompany Sirisena to Jaffna
12.10.17 23:35  
SL military postpones land release for 2 years as UN awarded Colombo with 2 more years in Geneva
11.10.17 23:48   Photo
20 Tamil organisations to lay siege to SL Governor's office on Friday
10.10.17 22:05   Photo
SL ‘Manipulative Justice’ exposed once again in Tamil political prisoners’ case: Sivapalan
09.10.17 22:09  
Protests gain momentum as hunger-striking political prisoners’ health deteriorates
08.10.17 23:00   Photo
SL constitutional discourse seen coupled with ‘Vision 2025’ policy of genocidal Sri Lanka
07.10.17 23:21  
Colombo brings Sinhala private partnerships to wage structural genocide in Vanni
06.10.17 23:22  
Uprooted Tamils face ultimatum on proving land ownership in strategic Kokku’laay
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=29193