Stench of dead bodies permeate Vanni, wounded allowed to die without treatment[TamilNet, Saturday, 16 May 2009, 10:26 GMT]An uncounted number of dead bodies between 2,000 and 3,000 are lying all over the places in civilian congested area and the civilians are all struck by a heavy stench of dead bodies, said a volunteer doctor from Mu'l'li-vaaykkaal. "Sri Lanka Army (SLA) has destroyed all medical facilities by targeted attacks, and the SLA was continuing inhuman and indiscriminate attacks on civilians providing only two options, death or surrender," he added. The volunteer doctor himself witnessed more than 100 deaths Saturday morning. All the government doctors and the top officials have fled the shelling. Civilians are in shock at the continuing carnage in Vanni. "We need a pause from continued cannon and mortar fire to treat the wounded. There is a serious need for external medical crew to take care of the seriously wounded, who are allowed to die without medical attention," the volunteer doctor told TamilNet over a satellite phone. "Above all, the wounded and the remaining civilians need food and water urgently. There are people dying within the bunkers without food." Meanwhile, the veteran doctors T. Saththiyamoorthy and S. Varadarajah, who are the Regional Directors of Health Services of Ki'linochchi and Mullaiththeevu districts and the Additional Government Agent K. Parthipan have entered Sri Lanka Army controlled territory, sources in Colombo said. Both Dr. Sathyamoorthy and Dr. Varadarajan have been recommended by the UN for special honours for their part in carrying out their professional duties under difficult and trying conditions in the war front so far. Earlier, the government defence spokesperson and minister Kehiliya Rambukwella told journalists in the Colombo that the two doctors were not attached to the Government service. Chronology: 12.05.09 SLA attacks hospital, 47 massacred
11.05.09 SLA continues to inflict carnage
08.05.09 SLA steps up carnage on civilians
26.04.09 SLA poised for all-out-carnage
26.04.09 LTTE announces unilateral ceasefire
16.04.09 UN and IC signal civilian carnage
12.04.09 Plight of babies born and unborn
09.04.09 Carnage continues in Vanni
06.03.09 Acid test for international actors
04.03.09 ICRC worker killed in SLA shelling
02.03.09 Hunger claims lives in Vanni
01.02.09 Shelling hits hospital, ICRC shocked
27.01.09 Norway breaks silence, condemns war
18.01.09 Vanni civilians under deadly siege
|
Latest 15 Reports
|
|
|
Reproduction of this news item is allowed when used without
any alterations to the contents and the source, TamilNet, is mentioned |
||
|
News | Features | Opinion | Palaka'ni | Photo Features | TN Transcription
Web feeds | Feedback | Home | About us |