Colombo 'ended' the battle with a massacre

[TamilNet, Monday, 18 May 2009, 07:25 GMT]
Monday early hours around 3:00 a.m. Vanni local time, the LTTE Political Chief B. Nadesan and LTTE Peace Secretariat Director S. Puleedevan telephoned their contacts in Europe and informed them to tell the ICRC Head Office that only around 1,000 wounded cadres, civil officials of the LTTE and civilians remained in the so-called safety zone and there was no firing from the LTTE side. They urged the ICRC to evacuate the wounded. A few hours later, Colombo's Defence Ministry website claimed finding the dead bodies of Mr. Nadesan, Mr. Puleedevan, Mr. Ilango (Tamileelam Police Chief), and LTTE Leader V. Pirapaharan's son Mr. Charles Antony. The LTTE is yet to confirm, but initial reports indicate a determined massacre by the Sri Lanka Army (SLA).

On Sunday, SLA Commander Lt. Gen. Sarath Fonseka told AFP that he will not allow the LTTE to 'regroup' and will ensure that there is 'no future' for the Tigers.

He also said that "the firm decision of the political hierarchy not to go for talks with the LTTE terrorists until they lay down arms had contributed significantly to all these war victories."

During the last week both Nadesan and LTTE's International Relations Head S. Pathmanathan were welcoming the call by the US President Barack Obama and were expressing the willingness of the LTTE to heed his request.

However, Colombo has decided not to allow any opportunity for the LTTE to negotiate and to annihilate its leadership.

Both Obama's call and the LTTE's favourable response were not honoured by Colombo.

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=29402