7 political parties submit nominations in Jaffna electorate until Thursday
[TamilNet, Friday, 26 February 2010, 07:20 GMT]
Five political parties submitted their lists of candidates contesting Jaffna electoral district in the parliamentary election at Jaffna Secretariat Thursday making a total of seven political parties contesting the election including Tamil Arasuk Kadchi (TAK) and Tamil Makkal Viduthalai Pulikal (TMVP), sources in Jaffna said. Meanwhile, 3 independent groups have also submitted nomination lists Thursday, the sources added.
The following are the political parties that submitted nominations Thursday:
1. Sri Lanka Jathika Peramuna with Samukath Vithane as Chief Candidate.
2. United National Party with Ms. Vijayakala Maheswaran, wife of late Thiyagarajah Maheswaran, as Chief Candidate.
3. Socialist Equality Party with Thiruchelvam Subramaniam as Chief Candidate.
4. Democratic National Party of Sarath Fonseka with Veeraraj Lalithakumar as Chief Candidate.
5. Janasetha Peramuna with D. K. Sasar Tissanayake as Chief Candidate.
Meanwhile, 3 independent groups led by Shanmuganathan Manoharan, Fernando Joseph Antony and Suntharalingam Sathiyaseelan representing Pa’n’nai, Kanakapuram and Ki’linochchi submitted their nomination lists Thursday.
Kathiravelu Cheverl paid deposit to contest election in Jaffna electoral district as leader of an independent group Thursday.