Court turns down CID application to record Fonseka statement

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 04 May 2010, 10:00 GMT]
Colombo Chief Magistrate Monday turned down an application tendered by the Criminal Investigation Department (C.I.D) of Sri Lanka Police seeking permission of the court to record a statement from retired General Sarath Fonseka over a statement that latter had given to a Sunday English weekly regarding the killing of surrendering LTTE cadres at the last stage of the war, legal sources said.

CID in its application said that the court should permit them to record a statement from Fonseka over a statement he had made to the English weekly Sunday leader implicating the Defense Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapakse for the killing of surrendering LTTE cadres in the final stages of the war.

The news report said the Defence Secretary had reportedly told a senior army officer that LTTE cadres surrendering should not be spared.

Chief Magistrate Champa Janaki Rajaratne asked the CID for the summary evidence collected so far.

But the CID said the documents were not ready and hence the court turned down the CID application to record the statement from Fonseka, legal sources said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=31676