Sri Lankan ire on Independence Day in London

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 08 February 2011, 05:03 GMT]
When a group of Tamil expatriates began protesting outside the Sri Lankan High Commission in London on Friday Feb 4 (Sri Lanka’s Independence Day), officials inside made a false call to the police claiming the building was under attack, British police sources said Monday. A police squad rushed to the site, but found peaceful demonstrators chanting slogans and carrying placards and Tamil Eelam flags. Embassy officials later remonstrated on the street with police as well as shouting abuse at the protestors and taking photographs of them, protest leaders said.

UK protest

UK protest
Tamil protest begins Friday 11:30 a.m.
UK protest
Diplomatic Police Group responds to embassy’s emergency call
UK protest
Senior police officer talks to protestors
UK protest
DPG departs
UK protest
Protest proceeds
UK protest
Then embassy officials appear on balcony to photograph protestors
UK protest
Embassy official gestures at protestors
Shortly after the demonstration began outside the High Commission, a squad from the Diplomatic Protection Group hurriedly arrived with motorcycles escorting their two characteristic red-liveried vehicles

The squad commander entered the building to speak to embassy officials and thereafter spoke to the demonstrators, a protest organiser said.

Police sources told Tamil contacts Monday the DPG was responding to an emergency call by the High Commission that the building was being attacked.

After a radio conversation with his superiors, the commander left with the squad, having advised the demonstrators to stay within an enclosure set up 30 yards opposite and across from the embassy entrance.

A small group of regular police officers remained behind as the protest continued.

Shortly thereafter two embassy officials came out and stood directly opposite the demonstrators, taking photographs of them. Later other officials came out on the building’s balcony also taking pictures and gesturing.

“They kept coming out from time to time to take pictures us, implying dire consequences,” the protest organiser said.

“Seeing as that’s how the deal with protests in Sri Lanka, we were not surprised. We took pictures of them taking pictures of us.”

The demonstrators responded to the intimidation by chanting louder, including the slogans “Sri Lanka government - terrorists, terrorists!” and “Rajapaksa – war criminal!”

Later, several enraged embassy officials spilled out of the building, remonstrating with the police who positioned themselves between the two groups.

“They were furious and were screaming at the police that we were terrorists,” a protestor said.

“There were as many embassy people on the street as protestors.”

With the two groups just a few feet apart, some embassy officials provocatively advanced to take pictures of the demonstrators, who in turn took pictures of them.

“Just see what happens when you come to Sri Lanka,” one official said, jabbing at the protestors.

The police brought the situation under control and ushered the embassy officials back towards the building’s porch.

As the two groups faced each other from afar, one demonstrator tore the Sri Lanka’s flag. Others stamped on and set fire to the pieces.

The embassy officials later withdrew into the building, and the protest proceeded uneventfully.

At 2.30pm another senior police officer inspected the site and spoke to demonstrators.

“He asked if we were part of the Tamil protests were going on in other parts of London,” a protest organiser said. A protest scheduled by the JVP did not take place.

The demonstration opposite the High Commission concluded at 3pm. When the protestors left, so did the small group of police who had remained behind after the embassy officials went back inside.

UK protest
Embassy officials near and photograph protestors
UK protest
Later, embassy officials spill onto street, remonstrating with police
UK protest
More photographs are taken
UK protest
Police move officials back to embassy porch
UK protest
UK protest
Situation calms
UK protest
Protest continues, concludes at 3:00 p.m.



Latest 15 Reports
20.07.18 22:09   Photo
New Delhi fails to update Jaffna on Palaali airport plans
19.07.18 23:22   Photo
Skulls with bullet-like holes excavated in Mannaar mass grave, women and children among victims
18.07.18 19:21   Photo
Uprooted Mu'l'lik-ku'lam Tamils adopt Ira'nai-theevu approach, enter their lands seized by SL Navy
17.07.18 21:29   Photo
Colombo steps up shadow war against NPC Chief Minister Wigneswaran
16.07.18 22:48   Photo
SL Forest Department seizes agricultural lands of Eezham Tamils in Paduvaan-karai
15.07.18 19:14   Photo
Families of enforced disappeared vehemently oppose OMP sittings in North
14.07.18 19:35  
SL High Court in Vavuniyaa tricked again into postponing hearings on TPP case
13.07.18 23:20   Photo
NPC CM declines participation in Colombo's unilateral task force for so-called Development
12.07.18 12:22   Photo
Genocidal Sri Lanka seizes ancient coastal hamlet of Tamil-speaking aborigines in Trincomalee
11.07.18 18:20  
Collaborationist sections of TNA lose significance, Wigneswaran holds key to unified Tamil polity
10.07.18 21:53  
SL Military Intelligence recommences recruitment of notorious ex-paramilitary operatives
09.07.18 22:30   Photo
Antiquities Ordinance used to justify Sinhalicisation of 48 locations in Mullaiththeevu
08.07.18 19:06   Photo
TNPF protests against Colombo's move to militarise Jaffna Fort
07.07.18 19:56   Photo
SL Police in Champoor blocks remembrance of Tamils massacred by SL military
06.07.18 23:17  
Jaffna University silent to Colombo's pressure, motives behind Fort excavation questioned
Find this article at: