Ship service resumes as causeway is opened

[TamilNet, Monday, 01 December 1997, 23:59 GMT]
Hundred and thirteen civilians set out from the harbour of Kankesanthurai in Jaffna today for Trincomalee. The ship service for transporting people to and from the peninsula was discontinued early this year. However, the people who had secured permission to travel had to wait at KKS from Saturday to embark the vessel 'Lanka Muditha'.

The Navy finally permitted the opening of the Ponnalai causeway today. People in the island of Karainagar, west of Jaffna can now travel to and from the Jaffna peninsula by bus.

The opening ceremony was conducted on a very quiet note.

The EPDP had earlier wanted to have a grand official opening ceremony under its auspices on Deepavali day in late October. This was subtly blocked by the Navy at that time.

The bus service between Karainagar and Jaffna will not be direct, said a northern transport board official.

Passengers from the island would have to change buses at a check point at the western end of the causeway and board another bus which would take them to Jaffna town.

Furthermore, the bus to Karainagar will go travel to the island's eastern part. People living in the west would have to walk or find other means of transport.

Sources in Jaffna said this evening that all buses that went to Pt. Pedro (in the north east of the peninsula) were turned back to day. They were unable to confirm the reason for this.


Related Articles:
29.10.97   Navy thwarts EPDP publicity stunt
18.10.97   Strained bus service to reach Karainagar

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=399