Missing fishermen remain unaccounted

[TamilNet, Monday, 21 February 2000, 21:30 GMT]
The fate of five fishermen reported 'missing' after their boats were attacked by the Sri Lanka Navy, off the coast of Silavathurai, remains unknown, their relatives said.

Residents said tension prevails in Silavathurai and its neighbouring hamlets following the incident.

The Bishop of Mannar, the Ret. Rev. Rayappu Joseph, and the Government Agent of Mannar, Mr. Visvalingam, today met the local Sri Lanka Army authorites and verified the five fishermen had been missing. The SLA has told them that they would launch an investigation.

Several huts, boats and fishing gear were damaged when SLN vessels shelled the coastal village last week. The relatives say the missing fishermen may have been arrrested by the Sri Lanka Navy and could be held in detention.


Related Articles:
18.02.00   Navy shells village, 5 missing

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=4705