POWs call off hunger strike

[TamilNet, Friday, 25 February 2000, 14:21 GMT]
Fifteen POWs in the custody of the Liberation Tigers have called off their hunger strike said Harsha Gunawardene, the Spokesman for the ICRC in Colombo, today. However, he declined to reveal further information about why they have called off their strike.

The government has so far not officially responded to their call.

Thirteen Sri Lanka Army soldiers and two naval personnel were on a hunger strike since 10 February, demanding the government to take steps to secure their release.

Meanwhile 28 relatives of the POWs who went to visit them on Tuesday will stay in Puthukudiyiruppu till Monday, Mr.Gunawardene said. Earlier the government gave them permission to stay there for two days.

One of the hunger striker who was admitted to Puthukudiyiruppu hospital, after he collapsed two days back had returned to his colleagues on Thursday evening. He was transported in an ICRC vehicle from the hospital. His health condition is satisfactory Mr. Gunawardene added.

23.02.2000: TamilNet:

Hunger striker admitted to hospital

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=4723