Seven fishermen killed in Navy attack
[TamilNet, Saturday, 23 September 2000, 09:56 GMT]
(Correction) At least seven fishermen were killed and seventeen were injured Friday night around 11.30 when the Sri Lanka Navy (SLN) gunboats opened fire on their boats in the bay Trincomalee. The bodies of six fishermen, four Sinhalese and two Tamils, have been recovered so far from the sea.
They victims were identified as: Giri, Rajendran (both are Tamils), Antony Fernando, Lakshan, Priyantha Perera and Samson.
Survivors said that there were more than fifty fishermen fishing in the area when the SLN opened fire indiscriminately on their boats. Meanwhile, the SLN issued a statement Saturday that it's patrol boats had opened fire on a Tiger flotilla in the area last night.
Many fishermen and their boats are still missing, distraught relatives told TamilNet Saturday.
A concerted search is on currently in the southern part of the Trinco bay, Police sources in the eastern port town said.
Wounded fishermen who were brought to the Trincomalee base hospital said the Sri Lanka Navy has not prohibited fishing in the waters between Fort Frederick and the Foul Point where they were last night. Most of the wounded fishermen are Sinhalese.
The bodies of six fishermen killed in last night's SLN attack have been brought to the hospital a medical officer said. Another body has been found floating near the scene of the massacre sources said. More are feared dead sources said.