Massacre victims' bodies taken to North-East

[TamilNet, Friday, 27 October 2000, 20:09 GMT]
Thirteen bodies of victims of Bindunuwewa detention centre massacre were transported to their native places in North-East provinces by helicopters Friday evening. Police sources said identification of the remaining bodies are delayed as they were either mutilated or charred beyond recognition by the fire at the Centre.

Five bodies which were brought to Batticaloa Friday evening were handed over to the hospital. The body of Antony John from Kallady was handed over to his parents while the remaining four are being kept at the hospital morgue.

Relatives of Antony John told TamilNet correspondent that he had been chopped by the attackers. He said Antony's one eye-ball had been removed from the decapitated head, both arms had been cut off, and the entire body was covered with deep cuts.

Three bodies were flown to Vavuniya and were handed over to Vavuniya Divisional Secretary (DS) Emilda Sukumar. She handed over two of the bodies to their relatives around 7 p.m. at the Kachcheri. ICRC representatives and Additional Government Agent were also present at Kachcheri. The third body will be transported to Murunkan Saturday by Sri Lanka Red Cross Society.

Three bodies were flown to Trincomalee and two bodies were flown to Jaffna.

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=5532