Fourteen reported missing in November
[TamilNet, Sunday, 26 November 2000, 17:11 GMT]
Fourteen persons have been reported as missing to the Vavuniya Human Rights Commission by their relatives in November, said sources.
The officers of the Human Rights commission said, including previously reported cases, a total of 18 missing have been recorded and that the Commission is in contact with the local Army and Police authorities to ascertain if any of the missing were arrested and if they are under the custody of the Police or the Sri Lanka Army (SLA).
The complete list of the name, age and village of the missing follows:
1. Mylvaganam Manoharan (41, Ukulankulam)
2. Vaithilingam Thiyagalingam (16, Vepankulam)
3. Ganesan Navam (28, Uppukulam, Mannar)
4. Payappu Sathiyarayan (15, Poonthottam Welfare Center)
5. Ramasamy Ganes (17, Poonthottam Welfare Center)
6. Savbaratnam Selvanayagam (25, Eechangkulam)
7. Balarasa Ravichandran (31, Poonthottam Welfare Center)
8. Gnanapragasam Lawrence (18, Bharathipuram)
9. Fernando Anthony Suba (21, Puliyankulam)
10.Anandaratnam Iyankaran (15, Vaarikuttiyoor)
11. Nagulendran Yogatheepan (15, Muruganoor)
12. Thirunavukarasu Sivananthan (35, Mattuvil)
13. Santhanam Thileepan (13, Poonthottam Welfare Center)
14. Vigneswaranathan Thushyanthan (18, Usi Quarters)
15. Selvarasa Senthooran (18, Kachcheri Quarters)
16. Nagarasa Koneswaran (18, Goodshed Road)
17. Murugan Kumaravel (30, Thavasikulam)
18. Vallipuram Prabakaran (21, Puthukkudiyiruppu)
Meanwhile, during a cordon and search operation last Thursday in the Sasthrikulankulam area, the Sri Lankan Army (SLA) arrested eight civilians. Seven of the arrested were released in the presence of the Human Rights Commission officers the following day. The only woman arrested, Sivalogarajah Alestina, is still in SLA custody, sources said.