SC rejects Ratwatte sons' FR applications

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 15 January 2002, 19:58 GMT]
The Supreme Court Tuesday rejected the two fundamental rights applications filed by the two sons, Lohan and Chanuka of former Deputy Defense Minister and presently Kandy District Parliamentarian General Anurudha Ratwatte. In their FR applications they sought order preventing their arrest by the police in connection with the massacre of ten Muslim youths at Madawella on the election day, December 5 last year.

The Chief Justice Mr.Sarath N.Silva rejecting the FR applications said the SC could not interfere in the magisterial proceeding of the Udathalawinne massacre.

President Counsel Mr.Arthur Samarasekara in support of the FR applications told court that the arrest order made by the Teldeniya Magistrate was without justifiable reason and reliable information.

The Deputy Solicitor General Mr. Arasekularatena appeared for the Attorney General argued that the police was in possession of vital evidence in regard to the involvement of the two petitioners in the alleged Udathalawinne massacre. The Teldeniya Magistrate had made the arrest order against the two petitioners who were the main suspects in the massacre based on such vital information


Related Articles:
17.12.01   Five SLA surrender over Muslims' massacre
14.12.01   Police search Gen. Ratwatte’s home

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=6622