UNF govt to reduce 2002 defence expenditure

[TamilNet, Monday, 18 February 2002, 18:19 GMT]
The United National Front government (UNF) said Monday that the country's defense expenditure would be reduced in the new budget, which is scheduled to be tabled in parliament on March 18. "The current cessation of hostilities would continue even if the government and the Liberation Tigers failed to sign the Memorandum of Understanding before February 24. Both the UNF government and the LTTE would have to sign a common programme of action to make the cessation of hostilities a permanent ceasefire," said the Defense Minister Mr.Tilak Marapone addressing a press briefing Monday.

tilak_marapone.jpgMr.Marapone also rejected news reports that Sea Tigers had carried out a successful logistics run from the deep seas off Mullaithivu last Friday night.

Meanwhile, five Sri Lanka Army (SLA) soldiers were identified at a parade held Monday before the Teldeniya Magistrate Ms. Inoka Ranasinghe, in connection Udathalawinne massacre of ten Muslim youths on the parliamentary election day (December 5) last year. Of the 34 suspects 31 are SLA soldiers. Of them six soldiers were produced in court for the identification parade. Five of them were identified, Monday.

The identification parade would be held in stages. One of the defence attorneys objected for holding the identification parade in stages. However the Magistrate overruled the objection and said they could raise the objection in higher court when the case is heard.

The main two suspects Lohan and Chanuka, sons of the former deputy defense minister and presently Kandy district parliamentarian General Anurudha Ratwatte did not appear in Court Monday. Police sources said the two suspects were absconding. Further identification parade was put off March 4.

In the meantime Mr.Tilak Marapone, Defense Minister said that he was satisfied with the investigation held into the Udathalawinne massacre. The matter is now before the Attorney General who would take a final decision shortly whom are to be indicted, legal sources said. Last week the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) officials quizzed General Ratwatte, father of two main suspects at the fourth floor CID headquarters. General Ratwatte's statement has now been forwarded to the Attorney General for consideration.

 

Latest 15 Reports
16.07.18 22:48   Photo
SL Forest Department seizes agricultural lands of Eezham Tamils in Paduvaan-karai
15.07.18 19:14   Photo
Families of enforced disappeared vehemently oppose OMP sittings in North
14.07.18 19:35  
SL High Court in Vavuniyaa tricked again into postponing hearings on TPP case
13.07.18 23:20   Photo
NPC CM declines participation in Colombo's unilateral task force for so-called Development
12.07.18 12:22   Photo
Genocidal Sri Lanka seizes ancient coastal hamlet of Tamil-speaking aborigines in Trincomalee
11.07.18 18:20  
Collaborationist sections of TNA lose significance, Wigneswaran holds key to unified Tamil polity
10.07.18 21:53  
SL Military Intelligence recommences recruitment of notorious ex-paramilitary operatives
09.07.18 22:30   Photo
Antiquities Ordinance used to justify Sinhalicisation of 48 locations in Mullaiththeevu
08.07.18 19:06   Photo
TNPF protests against Colombo's move to militarise Jaffna Fort
07.07.18 19:56   Photo
SL Police in Champoor blocks remembrance of Tamils massacred by SL military
06.07.18 23:17  
Jaffna University silent to Colombo's pressure, motives behind Fort excavation questioned
05.07.18 23:49  
Tamils need native movements to confront Colombo-centric environmental exploitations
04.07.18 20:29  
Geneva-based human rights regime is big disappointment: Tamil political prisoners
03.07.18 23:39   Photo
Source files from one of digital cameras witnessing 2009 genocide released to public domain
02.07.18 22:55   Photo
Macro-level approach needed to confront genocidal land grab in Mullaiththeevu
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=6712