Sri Lanka concealing losses - LTTE
[TamilNet, Monday, 09 February 1998, 23:59 GMT]
The VOT said this morning that the SLA had tried to advance from its positions north of Kilinochchi on Saturday night towards the town.
The radio said that the LTTE had resisted the push and the army had been forced to withdraw after heavy fighting.
The VOT said that 6 SLA soldiers were killed and 14 were wounded in the Saturday night fighting.
In Colombo, Sri Lankan military sources said this morning that the army is expected to put out a statement this evening explaining the "real" state of affairs in the Kilinochchi - Paranthan area since last Sunday.
The LTTE has put out a statement today from their London office accusing the Sri Lankan government of making an attempt to cover up the true situation about the fighting in the north.
Another LTTE news release today said "Yet another attempt by Sinhalese armed forces to regain their fallen Kilinochchi base has been thwarted by LTTE forces, who have taken up defences within the base.
"The Sinhalese army at 10:30 PM on Saturday tried to advance to the west of Kilinochchi town from positions at Paranthan, Vanni village and Karadipokku."
"The ill-fated attempt was repelled by LTTE forces in battles which lasted till 1:00 AM. Unable to attain their objective, the Sinhalese forces had to withdraw, sustaining heavy losses. 3 LTTE fighters died in this operation."