Protest planned over massacre

[TamilNet, Thursday, 12 February 1998, 23:59 GMT]
A public rally is to be held on Saturday in Thambalakamam, demanding the removal of three police posts in the area where the policemen and home-guards who were involved in the massacre of eight youngsters on January 31st had been stationed, sources in Thambalakamam told the Trincomalee TamilNet correspondent today.

S. Punniyamoorthy, an activist organising Saturday's event said that all MPs of the Trincomalee District and military top brass were informed of the event which is expected to draw more than 1000 people.

The Tamil public in the area has demanded be removal of the police posts at Pokkuruni, Thambalakamam and Sippithidal.

Senior Superintendent of Police, Kantalai, Nihal Karunrate apologised to the villagers last week for the incident on February 4 when the bodies of the eight youngsters were buried.

"But we told the authorities that we would not send our children to school unless the police posts are removed," said Mr. Punniyamoorthy.

But the public is willing to compromise, according to him.

"We hope to send the children to school if the offenders are punished and the police promises to behave itself in the future," said Mr. Punniyamoorthy.


Related Articles:
02.02.98   Protests over police massacre

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=901