Balasingham denies ‘irresponsible’ reports on Premier’s letter

[TamilNet, Friday, 02 May 2003, 10:54 GMT]
The Liberation Tigers’ Chief Negotiator and Political Advisor, Mr. Anton Balasingham, Friday flatly denied press reports that he had dismissed Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe’s response to the LTTE’s letter outlining its reasons for suspending Norwegian facilitated peace talks. Speaking to TamilNet on Friday, Mr. Balasingham described the reports in the Daily Mirror and Gulf News as “irresponsible journalism” based on “pure conjecture.”

The Daily Mirror Friday claimed Mr. Balasingham had “dismissed” Mr. Wickremesinghe’s letter and said the Premier had been “evasive” on key issues. A similar report, written by the editor of the Sunday Times - the Daily Mirror’s weekend sister paper – also appeared in the Gulf News.

The Daily Mirror and Gulf News quoted comments the LTTE’s Chief Negotiator was said to have made to the Tamil-language Sudar-Oli newspaper. But editorial staff at the Colombo-based paper strongly denied they had published reports attributing such comments to Mr. Balasingham.

“The Prime Minister’s response to our letter outlining our organisation’s rationale for suspending the talks is naturally an important document,” Mr. Balasingham told TamilNet Friday. He said the LTTE had received the letter on Tuesday.

“As it concerns several crucial issues related to the peace process, the letter requires careful study before our organisation responds,” Mr. Balasingham said.

“Furthermore, the LTTE leadership will meet in the coming days to discuss these and related matters,” Mr. Balasingham said, adding that he is returning to Vanni next week for the deliberations with senior political and military leaders.

Commenting on the press reports claiming he had already dismissed the Premier’s response, Mr. Balasingham said, “such inaccurate reports, based on nothing but pure conjecture, merely promote the vested interests of those opposed to the peace process.”

“But the peace process affects the well being of all of Sri Lanka’s peoples. Irresponsible journalism inevitably raises unnecessary rancour and undermines efforts at ethnic reconciliation and peace making,” he said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=8898