LTTE responds to Prime Minister’s offer

[TamilNet, Thursday, 19 June 2003, 18:03 GMT]
The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) said Thursday that they would consider returning to the peace negotiations only when the Government of Sri Lanka offers a practical conceptual framework for an interim administrative structure.

Responding to TamilNet Thursday on the Sri Lanka Prime Minister’s call to the Tamil Tigers to resume the stalled peace talks, Mr Anton Balasingham, the LTTE’s chief negotiator and theoretician said that Mr Ranil Wickremesinghe had not spelt out any details of the envisaged structure.

"He has only repeated the statement he made at the Tokyo donor conference. This statement of intent, as we have already stated, cannot be a basis for negotiations," Mr Balasingham told the TamilNet.

Mr. Wickremesinghe had earlier Thursday said his government was prepared to discuss an interim administration for the Northeast. "We plan to establish an interim council with the agreement of the LTTE that will safeguard the rights of all communities," he was quoted by Reuters as saying.

Mr. Wickremesinghe also blamed the LTTE for the impasse in the peace process. "The responsibility to move forward from current problems and to resume peace talks falls on the LTTE," he was quoted by Reuters as saying.

"Operating within the confines of an entrenched constitution and facing a hostile President, Ranil’s administration is resistant to offer anything substantial in the form of an interim administration. Instead, the government is calling upon the LTTE to come up with a practical solution to draw up a mechanism. It is not prudent on the part of the LTTE to present a structure or a mechanism for an interim administrative set-up without any idea of the scope and extent to which the government could offer politico-administrative powers to the LTTE. It is precisely for this reason we are calling upon the government to come out with its ideas," Mr Balasingham observed in response.

Speaking to TamilNet Thursday, Mr Balasingham rejected the guidelines setout in the Tokyo Declarations as partial and unacceptable and therefore could not be the basis for future talks.

"We will insist on a radical overhaul of the entire peace process. We want a new, redefined agenda. We will discuss this matter with the Norwegian facilitators," Mr Balasingham further said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=9244