Compensation demanded for SLA's use of estate produce

[TamilNet, Friday, 03 October 2003, 16:31 GMT]
Owners of coconut estates in High Security Zones (HSZ) in Thenmaradchi Jaffna, through the Northern Province Coconut Estate Owners Association (NPCEOA), requested the Government of Sri Lanka to pay compensation for the loss of trees used to construct SLA bunkers and for the revenue lost due to the Sri Lanka Army (SLA) soldiers' use of estate produce, sources said.

The request was made at the conference held recently at Kodikamam MPCS building in the presence of the Chairman of the Sri Lanka Coconut Development Board Mr.Linchon Fernando and assistant manager Mr.Rajapakse.

NPCEOA President Mr. A.Nallathamby, Secretary Mr.S.Pathmanathan, Northern Province Coconut Development Assistant Commissioner Mr.S.Sivasanthiran and coconut development officers Mr.T.Mahalingam and Mr.J.Satyendra were also present, sources said.

NPCEOA Secretary Mr.Pathmanathan said about eighteen thousand-coconut trees had been felled by the SLA to construct bunkers. Majority of the coconut trees in Thenmaradchchi division had been located inside the high security zone.

He added that for more than thirteen years they were not getting any income from their coconut trees. He appealed to the Coconut Development Board Chairman and his officials to formulate a scheme to pay compensation to the owners of the coconut estates and also to provide subsidy to launch a replanting project once the estates located in the HSZ are released to their owners, sources said.

CDB Chairman promised to recommend to the government to pay compensation for the destroyed trees at the rate of eight hundred rupees per tree and to provide compensation for the loss of income for a three-year period, sources said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=10030