Lorries banned from entering Colombo

[TamilNet, Saturday, 01 November 1997, 23:59 GMT]
The Sri Lankan government today banned all lorries and trucks from entering the city of Colombo. This follows high level discussions on Colombo's security arrangements following the Galadari bomb blast.

The Sri Lankan Police and military investigators say the bomb which ripped apart the country's business hub on Oct. 15 was brought in a lorry from the Batticaloa district.

The government said that if any lorry has to enter the city it has to get special clearance from the Deputy Inspector General of Police who is in charge of the city's security.

Colombo's whole sale commodity market which has suffered in the past due to other security restrictions which were introduced last year after the Central Bank bomb blast will be worst hit by this regulation.

The wholesale trade of the country which has traditionally been concentrated in the Pettah area in downtown Colombo will have to shift completely to another location outside the city or make alternative arrangements to have the massive quantity of commodities which flow into the city daily in lorries delivered to Pettah from an unloading point beyond Colombo.

The ban on lorries came as tremendous blow this morning to the whole sale trading community in Pettah.

Not only businesses but a large work force (the Naattaamai community) that is dependent on loading and unloading lorries in downtown Colombo will be hit below the belt by this ban said a businessman in Pettah this morning.


Related Articles:
15.10.97   Massive blast rocks Downtown Colombo
15.10.97   LTTE denies responsibility for Colombo blast

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=200