TELO used schoolboy to test explosive device

[TamilNet, Friday, 19 March 1999, 17:19 GMT]
A cadre of the Tamil Eelam Liberation Organisation (TELO), a Tamil paramilitary group assisting the Sri Lankan Army (SLA) and the Special Task Force (STF), was ordered by the Batticaloa district court today to pay sixty thousand rupees as compensation to a student whose right hand was blown off by a parcel bomb on October 19, 1996.

Mr.K .Thadchanamoorthy, additional distrcit judge for Batticaloa, said in his sentence that the compensation means little when one considers the damage caused to the student's future by the TELO cadre.

Court sources said the sentence was extenuated due to the fact that one of the accused in the case died last year, that the TELO cadre had pleaded guilty and that he was now destitute.

Two TELO cadres, Seenithamby Vimalendran and Seenithamby Rajendran, who were working for the Special Task Force in Aaraiampathy, 8 kilometres south of Batticaloa, had seen a parcel abandoned close to their camp.

Strongly suspecting it to be an explosive device, the TELO cadres had called a school boy, Ramachandran Vasuthevan, 16, who was passing by and had ordered him to open the parcel.

The explosive device had blown off the student's hand when he had tried to do so.

The judge noted in his sentence that the crime committed by the TELO cadres was particularly heinous as they had compelled the school boy to open the parcel, knowing that it was an explosive device.

Seenithamby Vimalendran died last year.

 

Latest 15 Reports
04.02.24 15:40   Photo
சியோனிசம் காணும் தோல்வி ஈழத்தமிழருக்குப் பலன் தரவல்ல படிமை மாற்றத்தின் அறிகுறி
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=3047