Detainee's rights case cleared

[TamilNet, Friday, 23 July 1999, 13:05 GMT]
The Supreme Court yesterday granted leave to Trevor Lenox Dunstan Shokman of Wattala and presently detained at Kalutara remand prison, to proceed with his fundamental rights case.

The case came up for hearing before a three-member Supreme Court bench comprising Chief Justice G.P.S.de Silva, Justice F.Wijetunge and Justice Shiranee Bandaranaike.

On behalf of the Forum for Human Dignity, Attorney-at-law Trini Gordon Rayen supported the petition.

In the petition, Trevor Shokman stated that police came to his house and arrested him on August 18,1998.

The next day he was taken to the Kandy Police station where he was questioned by police about his brother, Tony Shokman. He was harassed and tortured at the Kandy police station, he says.

He says did not understand the abnormal behaviour of the police personnel.

Police officers used knuckle-dusters to assault him he says. He lost some teeth due to assault by police.

He is still in custody at Kalutara remand prison. He informed the Superintendent of the Kalutara remand prison as he received threats from other prisoners.

Thereafter, he was under judicial custody of the 9th respondent in the case, the Superintendent of Kalutara remand prison.

The petitioner further stated that a delegate of the International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC) visited him.

After the visit by the ICRC delegate, he was taken to the office of the 8th respondent, ASP, Special Investigation Unit, Kandy and was assaulted again.

The petitioner appealed to the Supreme Court to declare that his fundamental rights guaranteed under the Constitution had been violated and to order a compensation of Rs. 500,000.

The petitioner has cited ten persons as respondents including the Inspector General of Police, the Attorney General and the Superintendent of Kalutara remand prison.

The other seven respondents are police personnel attached to the Kandy police.

The Supreme Court granted leave to the petitioner to proceed with his case and ordered to issue notice on the respondents to file objections on August 27. The hearing was fixed for October 27, 1999.

 

Latest 15 Reports
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=3637