ICRC 'not involved in convoy crossing'

[TamilNet, Thursday, 29 July 1999, 10:58 GMT]
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) was at no stage involved in the organisation or escort of the convoy which transported the Vanni residents who have been stranded in Vavuniya since last month due to the closure of the access route to the areas held by the Liberation Tigers said the organisation's spokesman in Colombo, Mr.Harasha Gunawardena this afternoon.

He told TamilNet that the ICRC was neither approached by the Governemt Agent of Vavuniya, K. Ganesh or by the Sri Lanka Army (SLA) for organising or escorting the convoy of buses that took about 2200 residents of the Vanni to the Forward Defence Line at Moondumurippu-Nattaangkandal.

Mr. Gunawardena said "there has been no agreement on the part of the army or the Liberation Tigers on the question of opening a safe passage so far".

Yesterday, the SLA Chief of Staff and the Commander of Vanni region, General Lionel Balagalle said the LTTE opened fire when the vehicles carrying the first batch of returnees were sent across.

"First batch of 15 civilians were sent to cross the border when the LTTE opened fire. Therefore the second batch of 75 people were not sent. Three people out of the fifteen are detained by the LTTE and the rest were allowed come back to the cleared area. Now all the civilians are returning to Vavuniya" he said.

Sources close to the LTTE said that the Tigers had not been informed of the returnees impending arrival at Moondumurippu by either the Government Agents or the ICRC as is customary.

According to the sources, the civilians had arrived in the area and been heading into towards a minefield.

The LTTE had fired warning shots and the civilians had gone back to SLA lines, they said.


Related Articles:
28.07.99   Crossing cancelled as shots fired
27.07.99   Stranded travellers to return tomorrow
27.07.99   Stranded Vanni residents to go back?
27.07.99   Journalists to watch travellers return

 

Latest 15 Reports
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=3684