SL judiciary blocks massacre victims remembrance in Batticaloa

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 10 September 2014, 22:54 GMT]
The occupying Sri Lankan Police in Batticaloa on Tuesday blocked the 24th annual remembrance event of the victims of the brutal massacre of Chaththuruk-ko’ndaan massacre carried out by the Sri Lanka Army in 1990. Batticaloa District Magistrate Mr NMM Abdulla issued an injunction order prohibiting the remembrance event at the memorial site accepting the SL police version, legal sources in Batticaloa said.

Five infants, 42 children under ten, 85 women and 28 elders were among the 184 Eezham Tamil villagers who were massacred by the occupying Sri Lanka Army on 09 September in 1990 in the Chaththuruk-ko’ndaan SLA camp in the district. Tamil people have been annually observing remembrance event in the memory of the massacre victims since then.

Although two commissions of inquiry appointed to investigate the massacre identified the SL military soldiers and their commanding officer, there has not been any legal proceeding instituted against those responsible for the massacre.

The commissions of inquiry had documented the gruesome massacre in detail, including the brutal murder of 27-year-old Mohanasundari and her 3-month infant, who were chopped to death with manna knives by the SLA soldiers.

Some of the surviving massacre victims were forced to live on hiding as the SLA was searching for them to silence them permanently.

The SL police had approached the Magistrate Court to block the memorial event arguing that there were efforts to pay tribute to LTTE members who perished in the war under the cover of remembering the victims of Chaththurukko’ndaan massacre.

However, the people marked the remembrance with the participation of Tamil National Alliance (TNA) parliamentarians P. Ariyanethiran, S. Yogeswaran and P. Selvarasa, at a different locality.


Chronology:

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=37375