Sri Lanka rejects LTTE's "goodwill" ceasefire

[TamilNet, Saturday, 23 December 2000, 20:13 GMT]
The Sri Lankan government Saturday rejected the Liberation Tigers offer Thursday of a month-long "goodwill" cease-fire, asserting that military operations by the armed forces will continue. A statement issued by the Presidential Secretariat also said that "further gestures of goodwill are unnecessary [before negotiations]," rejecting the LTTE's call to de- escalate the conflict for negotiations to take place in conditions of normalcy.

The government said that a ceasefire need not precede negotiations. "The government would consider a ceasefire, consequent steps that would arrive when the negotiations reach to the mutual satisfaction of both sides," the statement said.

"The Government has indicated its wish to engage in talks with the LTTE forthwith on substantial issues involved," the statement also said. However, the LTTE have said earlier that it was not possible to discuss the resolution of the root causes of the protracted conflict whilst the day to day problems of people in the Tamil areas - which are subject to a government economic embargo and conditions of war - remain.

The Presidential statement also dismissed the possibility of de-escalation. "the government believes that further gestures of goodwill are unnecessary [for talks]," it said.

The LTTE, in an official statement issued Thursday from its headquarters in Vanni, northern Sri Lanka, announced the declaration of a month long unilateral cease-fire "as a gesture of goodwill during the festive season to facilitate and promote initiatives towards a peace process."

Britain, playing a complimentary role to the Norwegian peace effort, said Friday the LTTE's offer was "a first step" in de-escalating the conflict and urged the Sri Lankan government to follow suit.

"For the sake of all Sri Lankans, let us hope that this will be the first step in the process towards creating the right environment for peace negotiations without pre-conditions," Britain's Foreign Office Minister Peter Hain said in a statement.

However, the government of Sri Lanka said Saturday it was calling on to the LTTE "to engage honestly in this opportunity for peace" and said "Until then the military operation will continue."


Related Articles:
22.12.00   Britain welcomes LTTE ceasefire
21.12.00   Tigers declare "goodwill" month-long ceasefire

 

Latest 15 Reports
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
06.01.21 14:26  
Indian Minister of External Affairs Jaishankar trades off Tamils’ sovereign rights
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=5677