LTTE cadres released, hartal called off in Trincomalee

[TamilNet, Monday, 17 February 2003, 11:58 GMT]
The Trincomalee Magistrate Mr.S.Thiagendran Monday released the two women cadres of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) on surety bail and the hartal (general shut down) which was being observed in the east port town Monday demanding the release of them from morning was called off by noon, sources in Trincomalee said.

The case filed by the Police against two LTTE women cadres Sivalingam Nanthini alias Navani, and Maheswaran Thiagaledchumi alias Suganthi was taken up for inquiry Monday on a motion filed by Attorney-at-Law Mr.K.Sivapalan that they should be released.

Attorney Sivapalan in his submission to court denied the allegation that the suspects were engaged in recruiting personnel to join the movement. He added that there was no evidence against the LTTE cadres to prove the allegation.

The Police did not object to releasing the LTTE cadres on bail. Hence the Magistrate ordered surety bail for the LTTE women cadres and put off the further inquiry for May 2, legal sources said.

Thereafter public announcement was made in the Trincomalee town through loud hailer calling off the hartal (general shut down) stating the two LTTE women cadres had been released.

Shops, banks, provicincial council offices, schools and other business establishments which did not function and the town was deserted due to hartal observed Monday from early morning, resumed their functions later, sources said.

Released LTTE women
Two LTTE women cadres are getting down from the prison van with prison guards at the court house

SLMM and LTTE in Trinco
LTTE Trincomalee district political leader Mr. Tilak speaks to the SLMM monitor Mr.Abdel Furkhan and Ms E.Tuli at the entrance to the court house

Trinco shut down due to Hartal
Trincomalee town during hartal morning

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=8368