ER case accused in remand for twelve years

[TamilNet, Monday, 30 June 2003, 15:53 GMT]
The Eastern High Court Judge, Mr.S.Paramarajah, Monday fixed the inquiry into the bail application of two Tamil men who have been in remand for the last twelve years since their arrest under the Emergency Regulations (ER), on Friday, July 4, legal sources said.

Attorney-at-Law Mr.K.Sivapalan, who appeared for the accused, submitted to court that the wife of the accused was six months pregnant when her husband was arrested in this case. "She gave birth to a son after her husband's arrest. Today she has come to court with her eleven years old son," Counsel Sivapalan submitted to court, legal sources said.

In this case, the Attorney General has indicted Selvam Lingaretnam and Thangaraja Sivakantharajah, both of Muttur in the Eastern province, in the bomb blast that killed six persons on or before 7.8.1990. The first accused was arrested on 18.7.1992 and the second accused on 8.9.1992. Since then, they have been in remand, court sources said.

The names of the six persons killed in the bomb blast were M.A.N.Aliyar Thamby, Pichchaikutty Ansar, Mohideen Ali Akbar., Mohamed Mustapha, M.Haja Mohideen and G.Haralis Piyadasa.

This case came up for inquiry before the Special High Court, which was set up in the Welikada prison on the direction of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court to expedite the disposal of several cases filed under the Prevention of Terrorism Act and Emergency Regulations. The evidence of vital witnesses was recorded at the inquiry held at the Special High Court, legal sources said.

Thereafter, the case was transferred to the Eastern High Court on the instruction of the Attorney General, and when the case was taken up for inquiry for the first time at the Trincomalee sessions of the Eastern High Court Monday, Counsel for the accused moved for bail of the accused, stating that the accused have been in remand for the last twelve years.

As the State Counsel, Mr.S.M.Halimdeen, wanted time to file his response to the bail application, the Judge fixed the inquiry on July 4, the sources said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=9326