ER case accused allowed bail after 12 years

[TamilNet, Friday, 04 July 2003, 14:08 GMT]
The East High Court Judge Mr.S.Paramarajah Friday allowed surety bail for Thangarajah Sivakantharajah and Selvam Lingaretnam, who had been in remand for about twelve years accused in a case in which they have been indicted by the Attorney General under the Emergency Regulations (ER) with the murder of six persons in a bomb blast in the year 1992, legal sources said.

This case was transferred to East High Court on the orders of the Attorney General last month from the special High Court which has been set up in the Welikada prison in order to expedite the disposal of several cases pending under the Prevention of Terrorism Act and Emergency Regulations, legal sources said.

Thangarajah Sivakanthanarajah
The second accused Thangarajah Sivakantharajah, third from left with his sister and grandfather after being bailed out. (click for a larger picture)

When the case was taken up for inquiry at the Trincomalee session of the East High Court Friday, the defence counsel Mr.K.Sivapalan submitted to court that the accused Selvam Lingaretnam, father of three children and Thangaraja Sivakantharajah have been in remand for about twelve years. The partly heard case in the Welikada prison special High Court has now been transferred to East High Court for further hearing. He made an application to the court to allow the accused on bail and to conduct the inquiry from the start (DENOVUE), legal sources said.

State Counsel Mr.S.M.Halimdeen submitted to court that he would not object bail but the accused should be released on bail on stringent conditions, legal sources said.

Selvam Lingaretnam
The first accused Selvam Lingaretnam with his wife after being bailed out (click for a larger picture)

Thereafter the High Court Judge allowed the two accused on surety bail. Each accused should furnish two male sureties and each should sign a bond for a sum of rupees 50,000/=. The trial in the case has been fixed September 8, 2003. The accused were further ordered to report to the Chinabay Police every Sunday till the trial in the case is over, legal sources said.

The accused Selvam Lingaretnam was arrested on 18.7.1992 and the second on 8.9.1992. When the first accused was arrested his wife was six month pregnant. She gave birth to a son who is now eleven years of age came to court to see his father at the last date of trial, court sources said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=9356