LTTE members further remanded in Batticaloa

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 15 July 2003, 18:13 GMT]
Batticaloa magistrate, Mr. Abdul Gafoor, Tuesday remanded until 18 July all the members of the Liberation Tigers who were arrested by the Sri Lanka Police in the eastern town Monday night.

Police alleged that a parcel containing 102 rounds of ammunition and four grenades was found in the vehicle in which the Tigers were traveling when they were arrested by the Sri Lanka army and Police.

However, lawyers appearing for the defense told the court that the four girls in the vehicle had got into it while it was on its way to Batticaloa from Thirukkovil, 76 kilometres south of the eastern town, and that therefore they were not culpable. They argued that only the driver of the vehicle could have knowingly carried the parcel, which allegedly contained the grenades and ammo.

Questioned by the magistrate, the girls said they were on leave and had stopped the vehicle at Thambattai, about six kilometers north of Thirukkovil, to get a lift to Batticaloa. They also stated that they were following a course on computer studies during their leave.

The counsel for the defense argued that the Tigers in the vehicle could not have called on the SLMM to intervene in the matter if they had been aware of the contents of the parcel in the vehicle.

The Police, led by Deputy Officer in Charge of the kaathaankudy Police, Mr. P.P Wickramaratna, held that all persons in the vehicle were culpable under the offensive weapons act, for which only Sri Lanka’s Court of Appeal can grant bail.

He said that Sri Lanka army staff sergeant Francis Neville and Lance Corporal Sena Lalitha Sebala Kumara along with two Police constables had stopped the vehicle around 9.20 p.m. at the Kallady Bridge checkpoint on Monday night.

However, the Police did not produce the said ammunition and grenades in the parcel found behind the driver’s seat. The LTTE’s vehicle has been seized by the Police.

The Police urged that the court to charge all the members of the LTTE who were in the vehicle to be charged under section 2, No. 18 of the offensive weapons act of 1966.

After hearing the submissions, the Batticaloa magistrate put off his order until Friday, 18 July.

 

Latest 15 Reports
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=9436