‘Indian Minister’s visit to SL historic’ - Peiris

[TamilNet, Thursday, 14 August 2003, 18:56 GMT]
The Sri Lankan government’s cabinet spokesman, Mr. G.L.Peiris, said Thursday that the proposed visit of the Indian Foreign Minister, Mr.Yaswant Sinha, to Colombo next week would be 'historic.' Replying to a question at the weekly press briefing, Mr.Peiris, who is also the government’s Chief negotiator in the peace talks, said that there would not be any problem in obtaining Indian assistance to the present peace process, media sources said.

According to these sources, the LTTE is to hold discussions with its constitutional experts and legal advisors regarding the interim administrative structure proposal submitted by the United National Front government in Paris, capital of France, from August 21 to 27, said Mr.Peiris.

Mr Peiris in reply to question dismissed as totally baseless reports in a section of the local press that the Sri Lankan government was to bring foreign peacekeeping forces into the country.

The French government has informed Colombo that it has made the necessary arrangements to host the LTTE deliberations in Paris, Mr.Peiris said.

Mr.Peiris said that the LTTE would submit its response to the Sri Lankan government three weeks after it concluded Paris talks on the IA proposal.

He expressed confidence that it would be possible to resume the peace talks, stalled since April this year, by the end of September, sources said.

On the Kurankupanchan LTTE camp issue, Mr. Peiris said that the UNF government’s view has been conveyed to the LTTE through the Norwegian special peace envoy. He added that the LTTE camp had been constructed in the government-controlled area.

He said both parties to the ceasefire agreement should adhere to the determination of the Sri Lanka Monitoring Mission in any controversial issue, and he said that according to the SLMM, the LTTE has not made a final decision on the issue.

Meanwhile, the Chief of Staff of the Sri Lanka Army, Major General Lohan Gunawardene, said at the press briefing that the SLA has no plan to remove LTTE camp by using force because it would derail the peace process.

The Army’s top officer further said that a 30% salary increase has been proposed to army soldiers of all ranks. He said the SLA would recruit another batch of 4000 soldiers and the interviews for the recruiting are to be held from August 18, the media reports said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
24.08.19 02:22  
Tamil representatives urged to boycott OMP office opening in Jaffna
24.08.19 00:04   Photo
Despite ending Emergency, Sirisena keeps SL military empowered with police powers
23.08.19 07:04  
SL Forest Department remains unmoved by uprooted Tamils’ demand for resettlement
22.08.19 06:50  
40 parents of missing persons die within 915 days of protest
21.08.19 18:17   Photo
‘Death certificates’ issued to 500 of 3,500 Tamils subjected to enforced disappearance in Ampaa'rai
20.08.19 20:23  
Wigneswaran warns of bleak future for Tamils, urges planning for next step
19.08.19 19:23   Photo
IC sheds crocodile tears over Shavendra appointment, US engages with his war-time chief
18.08.19 23:50   Photo
SL TID detains outspoken Tamil doctor at Pazhai hospital
17.08.19 23:08   Photo
SLA Jaffna commander refuses to release Palaali lands at meeting presided by Wickramasinghe
16.08.19 13:25   Photo
SL Archaeology Department resumes plans to construct controversial ‘chaitya’ at Koonith-theevu
15.08.19 21:39  
Wickramasinghe lacks courage to meet protesting Tamil mothers in North
14.08.19 23:31   Photo
2006 genocidal massacre at Chengchoalai campus marked in Vanni, Jaffna amidst PTA-threats
13.08.19 17:45   Photo
Tamil awareness urged on geopolitics-driven genocidal ‘development’ in Mannaar
12.08.19 20:04   Photo
Percival's 19th century Tamil proverb compilations collated and sorted in new publication
11.08.19 20:32   Photo
PTA-threats against constructing memorial arch for student victims of 2006 aerial massacre
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=9645