SLA attack on LTTE sentry said repulsed

[TamilNet, Monday, 09 January 2006, 18:54 GMT]
The deep penetration unit of the Sri Lanka Army, backed by paramilitary groups, entered the no-man zone in Vavunatheevu and attacked the LTTE sentries in the area at 7:30 p.m. Monday night, but the LTTE returned fire and the attackers withdrew, LTTE sources in Batticaloa said, quoting Mr. Thayamohan, the political head of the LTTE for Batticaloa-Amparai.

The sources said that there were no LTTE casualties. Sri Lanka Army sources claimed, however, that two LTTE cadres died and four were injured.

LTTE sources said that there were ten LTTE cadres manning the sentries at the time of the attack.

Vavunatheevu is about 5 km west of Batticaloa town.

Earlier in October, a convoy of LTTE vehicles faced an attack by the paramilitaries backed by the SLA close to the same location, the sources said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=16811