Massacre suspects charged

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 01 July 1998, 23:59 GMT]
The Attorney General, yesterday, filed plaints against 21 suspects in the Thapalakamam massacre, before P. Swarnaraj, Magistrate, Trincomalee, said sources in Trincomalee.

Of the 21, four persons were charged on 17 counts, including murder and abduction. Nine of the suspects were charged with abduction, unlawful assembly and wrongful confinement.

The eight other suspects were charged on 15 counts including intimidation, said sources. Among the suspects charged with murder are Inspector of Police Ranaraja Bandara, officer-in-charge Special Investigation Unit (SIU) of the Kantalai police.

There are 77 witnesses including one senior superintendent of police, one headquarters inspector, four inspectors of police and one police constable.

The massacre, which took place on the 3rd of February, was carried out by Sri Lankan Policemen who opened fire on civilians at close range, killing eight of them.

According to Amnesty International, the police had also attempted to fabricate evidence that the LTTE had been responsible for the killings.


Related Articles:
24.06.98   Massacre Suspects Released on Bail

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=1701