TRO staffer recounts Army torture

[TamilNet, Saturday, 22 July 2006, 15:34 GMT]
The statement by Kanthasami Sivasuthan, a Tamil Rehabilitation Organisation (TRO) staffer in Kalvayal, Chavakachcheri who was arrested and tortured by Sri Lanka Army was released to the press Saturday. Kanthasami, Technical officer of NECORD project, was beaten and threatened by Sri Lanka Army Intelligence on 18 and 20 July.

The unedited text, translated from Tamil, of Kanthasami’s statement follows:

“On 18 July 2006, when I had visited the Community hall project site I was stopped by the Army near the Kodikamam Army camp in Point-Pedro road. I had my Sri Lanka Army issued ID and National Identity Card (N.I.C.) with me. They took those.

“They knew me that I am working at TRO. They asked that our office was attached to the LTTE. And also they asked me about 2 members of LTTE. They took me to the bushes where is an open bunker. They had beaten me with the “Naval Kottan”. They released me. They gave back my Army issued ID and NIC.

“On 20 July 2006, I visited our project site as before while I was stopped by the same Army persons. They took my Army ID and NIC. I said, you were stopped me on 18 July 2006 and you knew about me. I asked for my IDs back. They said that the commander wants to meet me and they took me to the same place as before.

“They removed my shirt and covered my eyes with it. They asked me about the 2 members of the LTTE. The same as they had the last time and they asked the places where LTTE hiding the claymore mines, bombs etc… I told them that I don’t know anything about these. They had beaten again. They asked where Mr.Jeyaraj is. I said I don’t know.

“They had beaten me again. They released me. They didn’t give my Army ID and they said when I will give the details of LTTE they will give my Army ID. They said this beating is the last and next time they will shoot.

“It was done by Mr. Kumara (Army intelligent group, Kodikamam camp). Somebody was called him when he was inquiring me. He spoke very good Tamil.

“I reported to the HRC because I need my Army ID. I didn’t report to the police because somebody shot dead after they reported to the police about the Army harassment.”


Latest 15 Reports
21.06.18 16:24   Photo
Jaffna Tamil fishers mobilise against southern poaching, expose conduct of SL police
20.06.18 11:52  
Wigneswaran's secretary accuses SL Presidential Secretariat of dodging land release in North
19.06.18 18:33   Photo
SL military stationed in 6,275 acres of public and private lands in Vaakarai, Batticaloa
18.06.18 23:05  
Occupying SL Police in Jaffna again blamed for dodging action on criminal policemen
17.06.18 23:51   Photo
SL policemen fire to kill Tamil man at Church premises in Mallaakam, Jaffna
16.06.18 20:31  
US naval, seismic partnerships with genocidal Sri Lanka bring miseries to Eezham Tamils in Trincomalee
15.06.18 21:07   Photo
Swiss ruling, a precedent-setting victory for Right of Self-Determination oriented freedom fighters
14.06.18 20:03  
Only an international investigation would establish truth on enforced disappeared
13.06.18 22:37   Photo
Colombo schemes Sinhala military-led industrialisation of KKS exploiting geopolitics
12.06.18 19:49   Photo
Mannaar mass grave could be from early 1990s, shocking details emerge
11.06.18 14:38  
Sirisena yet to revoke Gazette notification of Colombo's seizure of Champoor lands
10.06.18 19:14  
Tamil families caught in dilemma of transferring lands in Seruvila, Trincomalee
09.06.18 19:04  
SL military attempts to rout out Tamil shop owners in Ampaa'rai village
08.06.18 18:17  
131 Sinhala Buddhist installations crop up in North after 2009: NPC
07.06.18 13:56   Photo
Encroaching Sinhala monk receives official recognition from SL Archaeology Department
Find this article at: