SLA transport ban impedes development in Batticaloa

[TamilNet, Friday, 20 October 2006, 09:23 GMT]
P. Ariyanenthiran, Tamil National Alliance (TNA) parliamentarian for Batticaloa said that despite the assurances given by Basil Rajapakse, brother of and Senior Advisor to the President of Sri Lanka, on June 29 that the military-imposed economic and transport restrictions in Batticaloa district would be lifted, situation on the ground has remained the same with all development projects at a standstill without building materials.

Development projects under Parliament Members' allocation, Mahintha Chinthanaya, and other NGO funded construction have been adversely affected by the ban on transporting building materials from Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) controlled areas, added the MP.

Though the North East Coastal Community Development Project (NECCDEP) has started a project of building 4000 houses for the people of Batticaloa affected by war and tsunami, the project remains in the initial stages for want of building materials. If this project is not completed within the financial year several millions of rupees allocated faces the risk of being withdrawn, said Ariyanenthiran.

Representations made by the TNA parliamentarians to Batticaloa's military-civil coordinating officer Maj. Gen. Wetty Perera too have failed to have the restriction lifted.

Around 70% of the Batticaloa district is within the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) control while the remaining 30% is controlled by the Sri Lanka armed forces. As the raw materials essential for construction works are found mostly in the LTTE controlled area the military-imposed restrictions hamper the progress of development projects, explained the TNA parliamentarian.

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.07.18 21:29   Photo
Colombo steps up shadow war against NPC Chief Minister Wigneswaran
16.07.18 22:48   Photo
SL Forest Department seizes agricultural lands of Eezham Tamils in Paduvaan-karai
15.07.18 19:14   Photo
Families of enforced disappeared vehemently oppose OMP sittings in North
14.07.18 19:35  
SL High Court in Vavuniyaa tricked again into postponing hearings on TPP case
13.07.18 23:20   Photo
NPC CM declines participation in Colombo's unilateral task force for so-called Development
12.07.18 12:22   Photo
Genocidal Sri Lanka seizes ancient coastal hamlet of Tamil-speaking aborigines in Trincomalee
11.07.18 18:20  
Collaborationist sections of TNA lose significance, Wigneswaran holds key to unified Tamil polity
10.07.18 21:53  
SL Military Intelligence recommences recruitment of notorious ex-paramilitary operatives
09.07.18 22:30   Photo
Antiquities Ordinance used to justify Sinhalicisation of 48 locations in Mullaiththeevu
08.07.18 19:06   Photo
TNPF protests against Colombo's move to militarise Jaffna Fort
07.07.18 19:56   Photo
SL Police in Champoor blocks remembrance of Tamils massacred by SL military
06.07.18 23:17  
Jaffna University silent to Colombo's pressure, motives behind Fort excavation questioned
05.07.18 23:49  
Tamils need native movements to confront Colombo-centric environmental exploitations
04.07.18 20:29  
Geneva-based human rights regime is big disappointment: Tamil political prisoners
03.07.18 23:39   Photo
Source files from one of digital cameras witnessing 2009 genocide released to public domain
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=19981