ICRC 'not involved in convoy crossing'

[TamilNet, Thursday, 29 July 1999, 10:58 GMT]
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) was at no stage involved in the organisation or escort of the convoy which transported the Vanni residents who have been stranded in Vavuniya since last month due to the closure of the access route to the areas held by the Liberation Tigers said the organisation's spokesman in Colombo, Mr.Harasha Gunawardena this afternoon.

He told TamilNet that the ICRC was neither approached by the Governemt Agent of Vavuniya, K. Ganesh or by the Sri Lanka Army (SLA) for organising or escorting the convoy of buses that took about 2200 residents of the Vanni to the Forward Defence Line at Moondumurippu-Nattaangkandal.

Mr. Gunawardena said "there has been no agreement on the part of the army or the Liberation Tigers on the question of opening a safe passage so far".

Yesterday, the SLA Chief of Staff and the Commander of Vanni region, General Lionel Balagalle said the LTTE opened fire when the vehicles carrying the first batch of returnees were sent across.

"First batch of 15 civilians were sent to cross the border when the LTTE opened fire. Therefore the second batch of 75 people were not sent. Three people out of the fifteen are detained by the LTTE and the rest were allowed come back to the cleared area. Now all the civilians are returning to Vavuniya" he said.

Sources close to the LTTE said that the Tigers had not been informed of the returnees impending arrival at Moondumurippu by either the Government Agents or the ICRC as is customary.

According to the sources, the civilians had arrived in the area and been heading into towards a minefield.

The LTTE had fired warning shots and the civilians had gone back to SLA lines, they said.


Related Articles:
28.07.99   Crossing cancelled as shots fired
27.07.99   Stranded travellers to return tomorrow
27.07.99   Stranded Vanni residents to go back?
27.07.99   Journalists to watch travellers return

 

Latest 15 Reports
19.07.18 23:22   Photo
Skulls with bullet-like holes excavated in Mannaar mass grave, women and children among victims
18.07.18 19:21   Photo
Uprooted Mu'l'lik-ku'lam Tamils adopt Ira'nai-theevu approach, enter their lands seized by SL Navy
17.07.18 21:29   Photo
Colombo steps up shadow war against NPC Chief Minister Wigneswaran
16.07.18 22:48   Photo
SL Forest Department seizes agricultural lands of Eezham Tamils in Paduvaan-karai
15.07.18 19:14   Photo
Families of enforced disappeared vehemently oppose OMP sittings in North
14.07.18 19:35  
SL High Court in Vavuniyaa tricked again into postponing hearings on TPP case
13.07.18 23:20   Photo
NPC CM declines participation in Colombo's unilateral task force for so-called Development
12.07.18 12:22   Photo
Genocidal Sri Lanka seizes ancient coastal hamlet of Tamil-speaking aborigines in Trincomalee
11.07.18 18:20  
Collaborationist sections of TNA lose significance, Wigneswaran holds key to unified Tamil polity
10.07.18 21:53  
SL Military Intelligence recommences recruitment of notorious ex-paramilitary operatives
09.07.18 22:30   Photo
Antiquities Ordinance used to justify Sinhalicisation of 48 locations in Mullaiththeevu
08.07.18 19:06   Photo
TNPF protests against Colombo's move to militarise Jaffna Fort
07.07.18 19:56   Photo
SL Police in Champoor blocks remembrance of Tamils massacred by SL military
06.07.18 23:17  
Jaffna University silent to Colombo's pressure, motives behind Fort excavation questioned
05.07.18 23:49  
Tamils need native movements to confront Colombo-centric environmental exploitations
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=3684