SLA camp attacked - Radio
[TamilNet, Monday, 29 December 1997, 23:59 GMT]
The Voice of Tigers (VOT) said yesterday that the Liberation Tigers attacked the Sri Lankan army's Jeyanthiyaya camp west of Batticaloa near the Ampara border on the morning of December 27 and brought it under their control after 30 minutes.
The VOT said that the Liberation Tigers had attacked the SLA soldiers of the camp who were returning from their usual night out in the area around 6.45 a.m in the morning.
Two SLA soldiers were killed while the others took to their heels said the VOT. Some weapons from the camp were also removed, said radio further.
The LTTE vacated the camp later in the morning say Police sources in Kalmunai.
The VOT said that five LTTE fighters were killed in the attack.Their names were given by the radio as:
1. Captain Banuchandar (Sinnathamby Anpalahan, Batticaloa)
2. Captain Thiraviyapalan (Sinnathamby Sinnarajah, Batticaloa)
3. Second Lt. Viththiyan (Sinnathurai Matheeswaran, Ampara)
4. Second Lt. Mani (Rasarathinam Ganesh, Batticaloa)
5. Roopakanthan (Jeevarathinam Vimalachandran, Batticaloa)