Sixteen Indian fishermen remanded in Mannar
[TamilNet, Friday, 22 June 2001, 10:01 GMT]
Eight Indian fishermen who were arrested by the Sri Lanka Navy in the seas off Talaimannar on 20 June were produced before the Mannar magistrate by the Police Friday morning and were remanded by him until 4 July. Eight fishermen were arrested by the SLN on 18 June in the seas between Kachchathivu and Talaimannar. They were also produced before the Mannar magistrate the next day, 19 June. They too were remanded until 4 July. The sixteen Indian fishermen are being held in the Mannar remand prison.
All the fishermen are from the district of Ramanathapuram on the southern tip of Tamil Nadu. The fishermen who were remanded Friday told Tamilnet that they had heard that eight fishermen from their district were reported missing in sea earlier in the week. The two trawlers in which they set from out from Rameswaram were seized by the SLN.
The names of the Indian fishermen remanded Friday are:
1. Aandi Shanmugavel, 42, Uchchippuli, Ramanathapuram
2. Sakkarai Sinnaaru, 22, Kamarajanagar, Rameswaram
3. Rajangam Namburajan, 30, Murungaiwaadi, Ramartheertham Vadakku,
4. Muthtumanian Muththusamy,38, Rameswaram Road Ramanathapuram
5. Sanmugathevar Madasamy, 33, Soundari Amman Kovil Street, Rameswaram
6. Thuraichaamy Maasilaamani, 28, Uchchipulivali, Velleri Udai, Korawalli,
7. Kayampu Ravichandran, 27, Keerpuvalasai, Valantharai Post, Ramanathapuram
8. Vilankarthasan Muniyandi, 34, Sathirakudivali, Valainaadu, Ramanathapuram