SC dismisses application by Gen.Ratwatte's sons

[TamilNet, Monday, 07 January 2002, 19:39 GMT]
The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Monday rejected an application made on behalf of the two sons of the former Deputy Defense Minister General Anuruddha Ratwatte. The sons sought to prevent arrest in connection with the Udathalawalawinne massacre on the Election Day. "The police and judiciary should act in accordance with the existing law. The court will not show favoritism," said Chief Justice Sarath N.Silva, in dismissing the application.

The two main suspects in the Udathalawinne massacre, Lohan and Chanuka Ratwatte, prayed in their application to order the Police not to arrest them in connection with the killings. They said they were innocent.

Lohan and Chanuka are still absconding following an arrest order by the Teldeniya Magistrate C.V.Rajapakse in connection with the massacre of ten Muslim youths on December 5 last year. Since then both sons of ex-defense minister Anuruddha Ratwatte are evading arrest.

The Chief Justice further said, "the court could not mediate in this issue as the Police are conducting an independent investigation into the massacre."

Meanwhile, the Matale Magistrate Monday ordered further remand for the Mayor of Matale Rohan Dissanayake till January 16. He was arrested in connection with election killings in Matale area.


Related Articles:
17.12.01   Five SLA surrender over Muslims' massacre
14.12.01   Police search Gen. Ratwatte’s home

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=6604